Japenese satnat replacement

350Z

Moderators: BRONZEE, Z Club

Lyndon

Japenese satnat replacement

Post by Lyndon » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:58 pm

Hey All,

I've got an 05' with the Japanese satnav screen. Before I go ripping things out has anyone done something with it before?

From my research some people in the UK have replaced the DVD unit to get it into english, but hard to find anything concrete on that.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Re: Japenese satnat replacement

Post by bernjean » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:55 am

Here is a link to this from a few years back

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5057&p=38300&hilit=nav#p38300
Bernie Kant

Lyndon

Re: Japenese satnat replacement

Post by Lyndon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Alright very interesting thanks for that bern.

Best I can tell there was an english disk for the UK models, which you can get online *cough*. I mean through nissan. *wink*. In the thread bern posted above, I am guessing he edited the iso himself to add NZ maps. Certainly impressive and I'm sure I could go down that route myself.

But from playing around with it I don't think trying to use that old thing in 2019 is worth the time. Even if you get it in English and NZ maps, it will be a 15 year old device. In computer years that basically makes it a dinosaur.

I'm going to pull the DVD unit out and see if that screen will accept any form of standard video signal. I know its got some integration with the car, its tracking the odometer for example so I'll see what that data is like and if its usable as well.

Ideally I want to try keep the original screen, tearing it out and trying to hamfist something else in has certainly can be done. But I'll see what I can do before resorting to that. Might see updates from me on that sometime in the future.

If anyone has information to add to the pile would love to hear it.