Rear end conversion, recommendations

Restores, Revamps and Repairs

Moderators: BRONZEE, Z Club

scott h

Rear end conversion, recommendations

Post by scott h » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi all, I’m new to the Z club, after recommendations for a straight forward (if possible) rear end conversion for my 75 260z 2+2, wanting strong lsd diff, axles, discs and hubs, currently running LS3, any input / recommendations would be much appreciated.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Re: Rear end conversion, recommendations

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:03 pm

Welcome to the forum. One of the others with old school Z knowledge will be along.
Next - Z Club events:
= Lots of events, check out events page or our Z Club NZ Facebook page =

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:51 am

As I understand it the R200 is mainly used when fitting more horsepower. The Longnose R200's are hard to get but the easiest to fit. You would only need a 280zx rear mount bar. Ideally, the later short nose R200 would be best but require a lot more effort and also certification to fit. You can search this on Google plenty of info on that.
Have you checked the Technical Thread on this forum? Maybe someone else has loaded info about this. I am also keen to get info on what you end up doing as it is really helpful to have this sorts of builds posted up for others. some pics of the work would be great as well.

Thanks Bernie
Bernie Kant

scott h

Post by scott h » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:49 am

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for your reply, yes I also believe the long nose r200 is a lot simplier to install, I have a good engineer involved and will certainly be getting everything certified, will post pics soon as car is currently nearing an end of a 6 month panel and paint job! Will also keep posted of which route I take for rear end conversion.

Thanks Scott

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:19 am

Hi Scott.
What are you using the car for ?

scott h

Post by scott h » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi there, car will predominately be used for normal weekend cruising with the odd organised street sprint, any ideas? Cheers

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:02 pm

R200 will be fine. Choose a good CV style rear end conversion and find 260z stub axles or get some made if they dont come with the CV conversion.

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Hey Scott, to elaborate on the PM I sent you, I will be undertaking a body conversion to mount a Nissan rear subframe which will have the R200, CV axles, 5 stud hubs, etc etc into my Z.

I looked in depth at the options and I've seen people continue to try to modify existing parts to customise a solution to fit the existing design and dimensions of the Z suspensions. While this can happily work, I'd prefer to not be a slave to customisation of componentry and I'd rather modify the body of the Z to fit OEM components which I can find easily in NZ.

1) yes, the rear track width will be wider than the standard Z
2) no, I will not go down the T3 rear end conversion route due to my thoughts I have provided in the PM (anyone else, it's not a secret so let me know if you want me to share my perspective)
3) purists look away... anyway, no motor/ no gearbox/ rusty shell.. it was unlikely I would have restored it to its glorious 2.0L factory spec lol

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:46 am

Good for, you car is what you appreciate, go for it. Keep us posted once you get underway.
Bernie Kant