No I like it the way it is
60%

Total votes: 15

nzeder
Site Admin

Club Logo

Post by nzeder » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi all,

Opinions required. The Committee have being discussing the club logo for sometime now. A number like the old original logo's that is the Datsun Z Club logo and the 240z line art style see below
ImageImage

However other believe it is time for a new look. Here are some samples of what a little time and effort can produce (thanks to pest for his work todate on these images 8) I am sure your skills will be required once a finial layout has been selected)

Some of the sample images have been resize to view in full size click on the image to open in a new windows

Sample #1 (drop the Datsun from the existing logo)
Sample #2 (use the 350Z style of Z)
Sample #3 (240z line art with 350z line art and logo in middle, the logo in the middle can be changed to suit whatever the club goes with)
Sample #4 (generations of Z/ZX cars with logo in the background version #1)
Sample #5 (generations of Z/ZX cars with logo in the background version #2)

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:08 pm

I personally think it'd be a good idea to drop the Datsun part of the logo as not all Z's are datsun...

apart from that they're all good and i can't really decide.

although... i do like number 3 :)
I Currently Don't own a Zed

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:41 pm

I tend to agree with the comments below, even though I own a Datsun 280zx.
All logo's are great in their own right but for the web site, magazine and news letter the 3rd option seems good (simialr theme to the UK Z club title... http://www.zclub.net/), though this option may not be practicle to be used for car stickers as per the original "Datsun Z Club" sticker... maybe we can use another option for that?

...my first post.

Pest

Post by Pest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:47 pm

These things take very little time to mock up, so if anyone has an idea they'd like me to try, please post and I'll try to make up a new example for consideration.

Personally, I like the striking colours of the original Z logo so would prefer to keep it but remove the "Datsun" (#1). I dont think my attempt above is as good as it can get so I might try some variations over the next few days.

Seperately I also like the 3 Zs (#4), partly because I'm stoked how they came out, but also because it shows the history of the car and will hopefully attract owners of all types of Zs.

Appologies to Z31 drivers, I haven't been able to make a brush version for you yet which is recogniseable as a Z31.

So, yeah. Let me know what you think and any ideas you have.
Attachments
newlogo3_small.png
For starters...
newlogo3_small.png (12.26 KiB) Viewed 13013 times

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:22 pm

pest wrote:Appologies to Z31 drivers, I haven't been able to make a brush version for you yet which is recogniseable as a Z31.
I'd imagine that, that would very difficult considering the similaritys to other z shapes.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:26 pm

Pest - I like the logo you have attached above. I, like you, believe the colours of the original logo make it stand out maybe we can use this with the line art of the old 240z and the new 350z shape on either side - that would look good on the web. What do others think?

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:30 pm

i'd have to agree, bringing out that Z has made a huge difference...

didn't see any attachment when i posted before :P

I think the Line art is imporatant for the bumper stickers... (if you plan on having some made) and for the logo...

mainly because i think that it's just sex :P

Brock365

Post by Brock365 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:56 pm

Any logos I agree with.
With the name I dont. Theres probably more road legal Z cars nowadays that are Nissan rather than Datsun. My 1980 ZX is legally a Nissan. Can we get both Datsun and Nissan in there somehow?
Owner of a Nissan 280ZX, a Toyota WiLL VS (yes its spelt with capital Ls) for the missus and a 2005 Nissan Skyline 3.5 litre manual sedan

Brock365

Post by Brock365 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:57 pm

Any logos I agree with.
With the name I dont. Theres probably more road legal Z cars nowadays that are Nissan rather than Datsun. My 1980 ZX is legally a Nissan. Can we get both Datsun and Nissan in there somehow?
Owner of a Nissan 280ZX, a Toyota WiLL VS (yes its spelt with capital Ls) for the missus and a 2005 Nissan Skyline 3.5 litre manual sedan

Pest

Post by Pest » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:13 pm

nzeder wrote:Pest - I like the logo you have attached above. I, like you, believe the colours of the original logo make it stand out maybe we can use this with the line art of the old 240z and the new 350z shape on either side - that would look good on the web. What do others think?
Done
Attachments
header2.png
header2.png (27.3 KiB) Viewed 12996 times

Pest

Post by Pest » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:40 pm

Brock365 wrote:Any logos I agree with.
I'd like to, but it just makes the logo too crowded and doesn't really roll off the tongue
Attachments
newlogo4.png
newlogo4.png (17.06 KiB) Viewed 12991 times

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:22 pm

IMHO the logo without the Datsun or Nissan make it look much better - the clubs legal name will always be Datsun Z Club Inc as this is the registered incorporated name. However we can call our selves whatever we want - Nissan Z Club, Datsun Z Club, Z Club of NZ etc just a name, we must stay with our legal incorporated society for offical club communications. Just to set the record straight the Datsun Z Club Inc is not just a Internet website/forum we are a Motorsport NZ recognized club (which is a good thing as we can legally hold motorsport events in New Zealand following the rules/guideline set forward by Motorsport NZ below is a section taken from the Motorsport NZ website)
"MotorSport NZ is the sole authority appointed by the FIA to regulate motor sport in New Zealand in order to promote and achieve:
- safety,
- fairness,
- and social responsibility
in the conduct of the sport."

What does this mean - I will not type a lot of info in this post but if you want to know more what it means to be a Motorsport NZ member club please visit the Motorsport NZ website

This is one of the reasons the club has a joining fee, part of this cost is a fee that goes to Motorsport NZ allowing our members to obtain a Motorsport race license etc. We have however made joining the forum free and open to the general public like the many web forums that exist these days.

Well I think that is enough of the political stuff for now :)

Back to the logo’s this is good keep the idea’s and flowing

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:44 pm

Mike and pest,

I think we may be of the same opinion, that the general design of the original logo is terrific, and hey losing the 'Datsun' as in the new webpage header, may even look better! Pest, would it be hard to do another sample of the above with the 'Z' more fully enclosed by the rising sun?? I'd just like to see whether it would look any better or worse than the above ... the "club" bit certainly looks better outside it, and for official correspondence we maybe could just replace it withe the offical name? all other use, just 'Club NZ' is fine.

The line art stuff we can use or not, at any time - I think we just need to agree on the core logo.

And I also think we would need the agreement of a large majority of the solid core of the Zed club to agree on the change, as I would not like to see a group of people that have been together for up to 25 years split by any dissention, just as we are starting to get going again.

Pest

Post by Pest » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:34 pm

bruce wrote:Pest, would it be hard to do another sample of the above with the 'Z' more fully enclosed by the rising sun??
Sure, see attached. Not sure I like it as much though, it's impossible to make the Z (which is not square in any sense of the word) look centered.
bruce wrote:And I also think we would need the agreement of a large majority of the solid core of the Zed club to agree on the change, as I would not like to see a group of people that have been together for up to 25 years split by any dissention, just as we are starting to get going again.
Yeah, that's why we're throwing ideas around here. I was a little surprised that mike put the new header up as quickly as he did, but I like it so I'm not fussed.

One of the reasons I brought up the club newsletter in one of the other forums was that I realise not all the club members are as "connected" to the net as nzeder and I are, and that medium would help us reach those other members to get their feedback on issues like this.

I don't want to be pushy, and I don't want this to become a devisive issue, but I also don't want to lose the enthusiasm I currently have for the club either. Please, continue to throw suggestions at me, and eventually we will have a concensus that we can call the official logo for the ZClub.
Attachments
newlogo6.png
Without the drop-shadows
newlogo6.png (18.1 KiB) Viewed 12970 times
newlogo5.png
More red
newlogo5.png (18.26 KiB) Viewed 12970 times

loose_unit

Post by loose_unit » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:05 pm

drop shadow one definately brings out that "Club NZ" part nicely